- Serve as liaison with the Administrative and Customer Service Division (ACSD) on matters related to parking and enter various types of service request through the ACSD E-Service.
- Receive and assist visitors and staff directing them to appropriate staff member and answer the main telephone line directing callers to the appropriate analyst.
- Serve as timekeeper ensuring time and attendance (TA) records and accurately keyed, validated and certified each pay period in the WebTA System and assists higher-level staff with auditing the payroll records of staff located within the division.
- Act as the Property Custodian assisting with maintaining inventories as requested by the Administrative and Customer Service Division (ACSD), accounting for furniture, equipment, and space.
- Assist with the preparation of documents, forms, charts and memorandums, for the accomplishment of office work.
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizen.
- Suitable for Federal employment.
- Registered for Selective Service if applicable. (www.sss.gov)
- You may be required to complete a financial disclosure (OGE-450).
- Type 40 wpm with 3 or few errors.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the date the first 50 applicants are received or on February 11, 2019 , whichever comes first.
This vacancy is advertised under 2 different announcements. Please read the ‘Who May Apply’ section carefully to determine your eligibility. If you are not eligible under this announcement, please see ISSRO-2019-0004, Administrative Assistant (OA), GS-0303-5, CENSUS-MP-DJD .
A probationary period may be required.
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
This is a BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses may not be paid.
The Census Bureau is accessible from the Metro Rail Green Line – Suitland Station.
Specialized Experience: For GS-05 , you must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal services.Experience for this position includes: performing various administrative support duties which include maintaining files and records; reviewing correspondence for spelling, typographical errors, and conformance to formats and procedural requirements; receiving and screening visitors; and providing support in the areas of personnel, purchasing, travel, time and attendance, training, budget, and other related administrative activities.
EDUCATION: Four years above the high school level in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university may be substituted for specialized experience, OR an equivalent combination of successfully completed post high school education and experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
- 30% or more disabled veteran
- Person with Disability
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are “gold,” “silver,” and “bronze.” Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the “gold” category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Ability to submit requests electronically for administrative services and to take action to meet the customer’s needs.
- Ability to communicate orally with internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of agency’s time and attendance standards and timekeeper responsibilities to ensure that users utilize the system in an efficient, ethical, lawful manner and effectively support and provide guidance to staff.
- Knowledge of conducting physical inventories and ensuring the proper use, protection, and accountability of personal property assigned under the custodial area are not used for other than official purposes.
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing, to include preparing memorandums, letters, and other official correspondence.
For more information on category rating, please go to:
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application consists of the following:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume should list your educational and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire. Your resume should also indicate your citizenship and if you are registered with the Selective Service System if you are a male born after 12/31/59.
- Veterans’ Preference Documentation: Please indicate on your resume the type of veterans’ preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service, VA letter, SF-15, etc.) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) documentation, if applicable (see other information).
- Education Documentation: If this position requires proof of higher education, or you are substituting education for experience, you must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. This also applies to Census Bureau employees . Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. Please refer to http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp for more information.
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education’s website – http://www.ed.gov/international/usnei/us/workrecog.doc You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
CTAP and ICTAP Eligibles
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area; a Certificate of Expected Separation (CES); or certification that you are in a surplus organization or occupation (this could be a position abolishment letter, a notice of eligibility for discontinued service retirement, or similar notice);
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, noting current position, grade/band level, and duty location;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your bureau/operating unit that shows your current promotion potential.
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination, certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a work-related compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement.
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, documenting your RIF separation, noting your position, grade/band level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc.;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
NOTE: You will not be considered if you fail to provide all required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Additional benefits available at Census Headquarters located in Suitland, MD, include: fitness center; child-care facility; credit union; free parking; convenient access to Metrorail and Metrobus transit services in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia communities; car pools/van pools; etc.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This vacancy is for an Administrative Assistant (OA) position in the Information Systems Support & Review Office (ISSRO) located at the U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters in Suitland, Maryland.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Administrative Assistant (OA), GS-0303-5, (FPL, GS-7 ) positions within the Census Bureau in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience