TITLE: ELFI Sr. Loan Underwriter ? Consumer
DEPARTMENT: Education Loan Finance
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Salary/Exempt
HOURS: Schedule Varies
The Senior Underwriter’s role is to execute sound and consistent origination decisions within established credit authority and approval guidelines, in compliance with SouthEast Bank policies and procedures. The Senior Underwriter will contribute to the overall growth of the bank’s consumer loan portfolio growth as well as maintain the quality of the portfolio.
- Review applications pursuant to credit policies and procedures- including analyzing credit reports, analyzing income from various sources including self-employment and verifying documents provided by applicants
- Verify identity, income, and other required documentation
- Analyze credit data to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money.
- Analyze customer financial documentation.
- Prepare analytical reports that include the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare and present applications that may be eligible for credit exceptions to management.
- Generate financial ratios, using computer programs, to evaluate customer status.
- Consult with customers, accountants and other professionals to verify financial and credit information.
- Participate in major department projects and take an active role in cross-functional teams to assist in driving quality improvements, processes, and initiatives.
- Actively participate and communicate in team based work groups.
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Lift 10-20lbs periodically
- Periodic travel
- Please note: evenings, nights and weekend days may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics preferred.
- 5 to 7 years of prior experience in consumer or commercial underwriting required.
- Prior loan approval authority preferred.
- Advanced computer skills with solid proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Databases and Web.
- Ability to exhibit grace under pressure, while successfully navigating complex work assignments/situations efficiently and effectively
- Consistently meet critical deadlines in dynamic, rapidly changing environment
- Establish productive working relationships with co-workers, management and clients
- Self-motivated and able to work independently applying analytical skills required to manage reviewing tasks
- Excellent organizational, time management, and written and oral communications skills
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic, high accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Excellent quantitative skills, demonstrates accurate mathematical application
- Experience handling high volume transactions
- Decision making skills (experience making decisions, uncovering needs)