Lincoln Park Zoo inspires communities to create environments where wildlife will thrive in our urbanizing world. The zoo is a leader in local and global conservation, animal care and welfare, learning, and science. A historic Chicago landmark founded in 1868, the not-for-profit Lincoln Park Zoo, is a privately-managed, member-supported organization and is free and open 365 days a year.
POSITION TITLE: Guest Operations Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Manager of Guest Operations
Provide assistance to managerial operations and provide oversight of all seasonal part-time staff. This involves performing all opening, closing, and daily procedures for the Guest Operations Department, including the parking lot and seasonal attractions. Provide support to all staff and give professional and courteous service to guests.
Supervise and coach seasonal staff. Provide daily, on-site support to staff by:
- being able to cashier for and operate all attractions and parking equipment, such as the AT&T Endangered Species Carousel and the Lionel Train Adventure train.
- motivating staff to provide exemplary service and helping them maintain positivity.
- serving as the staff leader on-grounds and ensuring staff have the tools they need to be successful. This includes filling in for staff during breaks and lunches.
- training staff and leading them to reach their potential.
- representing management and Lincoln Park Zoo to guests as requested.
- being the first responder to guest complaints or concerns, and effectively resolving any service issues that arise.
Supervise and conduct daily procedures of the Guest Operations department by:
- being the primary contact for staff and assist or fill in for management as needed.
- conducting daily opening and closing procedures for attractions and parking. This includes balancing all banks and following reconciliation procedures through completion.
- ensuring policies and procedures are followed by employees to maintain high standards.
- ensuring all locations are stocked appropriately with necessary supplies.
- completing daily reports and tracking in a timely manner.
- having practical knowledge of parking and attractions equipment to troubleshoot issues that arise.
- maintaining order and tidiness of the work area which includes cleaning duties.
- adhering to dress code and ensure staff do as well.
- performing other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability work in a fast-paced environment. Capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and following direction.
- Proficient in presenting a pleasant, service-orientated persona. Skilled in effectively resolving difficult guest service matters.
- Able to exercise sound judgment in emergency situations and respond with appropriate action.
- Well-developed interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to get along with diverse groups and interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, and general public.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to express oneself effectively in written and oral form.
- Ability to operate cash register, PC, and various database software with proficiency.
- Ability to perform numerical work with speed and accuracy, and complete reports as assigned.
- Ability to work independently and without direct oversight, as well as work within a team.
- Ability to represent Lincoln Park Zoo in a professional manner at all times.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Degree or GED required. College-level education preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Driver?s License required.
- One year cash handling experience required.
NOTE: A comparable combination of education, experience, or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills, and ability required may qualify an individual.
Must be able to perform physical and visual activities that are commonly associated with the functions of this job: Standing for long periods of time, walking for long periods of time, sitting for long periods of time, ability to work alone for long periods of time, lifting up to 50lbs, driving zoo-issued golf cart, ability to work in a small confined space, ability to work with mild cleaning supplies.
Must be able to work in environmental/atmospheric conditions normally associated with the functions of this job: Indoor conditions including noise, odors, dust and mechanical/electrical hazards; Outdoor conditions including hot and cold temperatures, precipitation.
Open availability preferred. Must be available to work weekends and holidays, including working early and late hours.
Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, values and experiences of all people. For Wildlife. For All