Prepare, review, correct, revise, edit and type letters and other municipal and civil case material such as: detailed briefs, appendices, opinions, resolutions, contracts, amendments, tables and other legal documents. Draft complaints and other pleadings in municipal, circuit, and appellate courts. Obtain signatures as necessary and take steps to ensure that documents are filed before their due dates. Enter Resolutions and other relevant Common Council information into Legistar. Efile documents in Dane County Circuit Court.
Respond to a variety of in-person and telephone inquiries by providing or obtaining information, making appropriate referrals, explaining departmental procedures, and receiving or relaying messages for the City Attorney and legal staff. Answer front desk phone when needed and direct phone calls to the appropriate attorney or other resource.
Schedule meetings, appointments and hearings; make meeting arrangements; arrange for court reporters; and make hotel and travel arrangements. Maintain attorney calendars and provide reminders of due dates.
Use MUNIS Financial System to coordinate purchasing activities, including obtaining payment for witnesses, court reporters, or filing fees, and to enter travel expense claims for the attorneys.
Maintain office files by promptly filing appropriate documents. Appropriately send files to State Records Storage when appropriate. Maintain accurate records of files sent to records storage.
Operate duplicating equipment; collate material and coordinate distribution of printed materials.
Perform related work as required.
- Three years of responsible clerical support experience, including two years of legal secretarial/assistant/paralegal work.
- One year of legal secretarial/assistant/paralegal work, and
- 15 credits of coursework in a field of study such as legal research, paralegal studies, or a related legal/business field.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Four (4) years experience in applying the following:
- Related legal office practices, procedures, forms and terminology.
- English composition, correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage.
- Computer software applicable to the duties of the position, including word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Filing documents in State and Federal court, including efiling.
Ability to maintain adequate attendance.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
For a complete list of the knowledge, skills and abilities, please view the class specification.
Work in this position is primarily sedentary, requiring the ability to sit/stand at a desk, work on a computer, and use a monitor for extended periods of time.
- The payroll title is Legal Secretary 2.