UPDATED 11:18 AM PT — Monday, April 29, 2019
Mike Pompeo is defending the U.S. support of Saudi fighters in the ongoing civil war in Yemen.
In an interview Monday, the Secretary of State said the war in Yemen is Iranian-led, adding, the Iran-backed Houthi rebels have refused to comply with agreements made during peace talks in Sweden. He said the U.S. has an obligation to protect its citizens and interests in the region.
His comments come after President Trump vetoed a congressional war powers resolution earlier this month to remove U.S. forces from the conflict.
“The support that we’re providing to the Saudis as a temp to engage these dangerous missile systems is in America’s best interest,”stated the secretary of state. “I know there may be senators who disagree with me, but the people who were the happiest when the resolution passed were Casa Soleimani and the Ayatollah.”
The Senate is expected to address the veto later this week, however, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell didn’t indicate what type of action would be taken.